The 10 Best Dog Harnesses
iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
If you’re on the hunt for the best dog harnesses but not sure which one to choose, we’ve got you covered! The search can be exhausting with so many different harness options on the market. So, to help you find the right one for your pup, we’ve combed the competitors and found our favorites.
Our list of the best harnesses for dogs includes choices with helpful features like no-pull front leash attachment points, easy-grip handles, reflective strips, and locking buckles. We also considered comfort, ease of fit, and adjustment simplicity.
Harnesses are a safe, secure, and comfortable way to attach your dog to their leash. A good harness will reduce pulling, increase your control over your dog’s movement, and reduce stress on their neck and joints. Harnesses also provide a more secure option than collars for dogs who tend to tug or pull. And because your pup will likely use their harness daily, it’s crucial to find the right one. Consider these factors to give your dog the safest and most comfortable fit possible when it comes to their new harness.
Things To Consider Before Buying Dog Harnesses
Adjustment is one of the key points when buying a dog harness. Though you’ll take your dog’s measurements to ensure getting the right size, a perfect fit is rare. That’s why it’s important to buy a harness that adjusts. And the more adjustment points, the better. These adjustment points ensure the harness stays snug and grows with your dog as they age.
Chest Clip vs. Back Clip
Many dog harnesses have clips or loops to attach a leash to the chest or back portion. For dogs with a pulling problem, consider a harness with a chest clip. When a leash is attached to the front of the chest, it acts as a barrier your dog can’t cross, which causes your pup to slow their roll. For dogs that pull, a back clip may work against your best efforts, as your furry friend’s backward tugging can allow them to slip out of their harness if it doesn’t fit just right.
Padding can certainly make a dog harness more comfortable for your pup, but not all dogs require it in a harness. Some dogs do fine with strappy harnesses without padding because they only wear them for a short time, basically long enough to do their business. Other dogs wear them for the long haul because they are always on the go.
If your dog is out and about often, they may appreciate the comfort fleece or foam padding can provide. The same goes for highly athletic dogs. All that movement could cause some chaffing issues, but a little cushioning can make all the difference. For dogs with shorter coats or skin sensitivities, padding could help eliminate irritation to the skin from the constant friction.
Keeping your dog’s harness clean is essential, especially ones with padding. Choose materials you can easily wash or even spot clean. While sturdy and stylish, leather harnesses for dogs can be tough to clean. Lightweight materials like nylon or rope can be hand-washed; some will even withstand machine washing.
Now that you’ve got the perfect dog harness envisioned in your mind, we bet you’ll find it on our list of the best dog harnesses! Regardless of breed, size, or age, we’ve got options to fit every pup.
Our Top Picks For The Best Dog Harnesses In 2022
- rabbitgoo Dog Harness
- Embark Adventure Dog Harness
- Puppia Soft Dog Harness
- Eagloo Dog Harness No Pull
- 2 Hounds Design Freedom No Pull Dog Harness
- Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Dog Harness
- Ruffwear Front Range Dog Harness
- Joyride No-Pull Dog Harness
- Gooby Comfort X Head in Harness
- Expawlorer Big No Pull Harness
#1 – rabbitgoo Dog Harness – Best Adjustable Pet Vest Harness
The rabbitgoo Dog Harness features an easy on-and-off design that ensures hassle-free donning. This no-pull dog harness is specially designed with two metal leash rings for safer dog walking. The chest clip prevents pulling on walks and can help train your dog out of this frustrating behavior. A total of four adjustable straps allow you to create the perfect fit for your furry friend. Slide the adjuster and pull or push the straps to tighten or loosen the harness. Two side buckles ensure the harness remains securely in place with no slipping. You can fasten and unfasten the easy buckles without any problem.
Made of durable nylon that’s easy to handwash, it’s also filled with soft cushioning to protect your dog’s skin. Plus, breathable mesh keeps your dog cool during outdoor activities, making it suitable for all seasons. And super bright reflective strips allow for safe walking day or night.
- Comes in an array of colors
- Better control with two metal leash attachments
- Sturdy top handle for lifting your dog
- Padded for comfort
- Available in S, M, L, and XL
- Two points of attachment
- Has a handle
- Plastic buckles
- Difficult to adjust at first
The Embark Adventure Dog Harness is lightweight and designed to allow movement without chafing or discomfort. The design of the padding around the neck protects your dog’s throat if your pup is one who pulls against the leash. It’s made from military-grade nylon ripstop and built to last. The buckle exceeds national pulling strength guidelines by 130 pounds, meaning this dog harness can stand up to the strongest dogs! And if you need precise control, the top handle lets you get a grip on your dog.
A recent redesign updated the leash attachments with metal D-rings for better safety and durability. Also, longer straps provide a better fit. And once you’ve adjusted the harness to perfection, you’ll be able to slip the harness over your pup’s head and go!
- Size adjustable and non-choke
- Two metal D-rings for leash attachment at chest and back
- Metal D-rings have pulling strength of 750 lbs
- Sturdy buckles for increased safety & durability
- Long straps for extra adjustment
- Made from military-grade nylon
- Reinforced stitching
- Four color choices: black, orange, pink, and teal blue
- Attractive design
- Super stylish and lightweight
- Adjustment for a good fit
- Quick-release buckle
- Thick padding provides extra comfort
- Rough edges may cause rubbing
- Washing instructions not listed
The Puppia Soft Dog Harness is made of soft and comfortable polyester and is suitable for small dogs such as Chihuahuas, Pugs, or Yorkshire Terriers. The chest portion features a breathable air mesh material, making it ideal for warmer days. And the lightweight construction also helps to keep your pup cool and comfortable. It’s easy to get on and off, thanks to easy-to-use buckles, making it great for squirmy puppies. This soft harness for dogs is available in a rainbow of colors and also makes sizes for larger dogs too.
- Chest strap with air-mesh for extra comfort
- Matching leash available
- Inner filler promotes superior comfort
- Made with breathable polyester
- Available in multiple colors and sizes
- Breathable and comfortable
- Machine washable
- Made of 100% polyester
- Comfortable around the neck
- Not advised for dogs that pull
- Needs some effort to adjust
- May not be suitable for deep-chested breeds
#4 – Eagloo No-Pull Dog Harness – Best Lightweight Padded Harness for Dogs
The Eagloo No-Pull Dog Harness makes your dog’s safety a top priority. Its thoughtful design reduces pressure on the neck and includes dual leash attachment rings. There’s one ring on the back for well-behaved walkers and a second one on the front chest piece to prevent pulling or choking for pups who need a little practice on the leash.
This no-pull harness can also be customized to fit your canine companion thanks to four sliding buckles on the straps, with two on the back and two at the neck. After adjusting them once, you’ll be able to slip the harness over your dog’s head and have them harnessed up in a hurry. The material is soft and perfect for various uses, whether strolling around the block or hiking on the trail. This best dog harness ensures you and your dog’s satisfaction and comes with a 100% quality guarantee.
- Soft and lightweight padding
- Made with high-quality, breathable nylon material
- Lightweight construction
- Perfect for various uses such as hunting, casual walking, and training
- Available in four sizes and eight different colors
- Front leash clip prevents pulling
- Comfortable for long days and active pursuits
- Highly reflective
- Soft and lightweight
- Low price
- May not be suitable for large dogs with excessive strength
If you have a large dog, you’ll love the control the 2 Hounds Freedom No-Pull Dog Harness offers. This harness provides sizing to fit dogs with a chest circumference of up to 44 inches and down to 14-inch chests. The straps adjust in four places allowing for an optimal fit to keep your dog safe and comfortable.
Plus, you can help your pup learn leash manners because this harness offers leash attachments on the back and chest. As veterinarians and trainers recommend, this provides better training control. And 2 Hounds designed this harness to be durable with quality nylon and stainless steel hardware. They also offer a chew replacement guarantee for their dog harnesses.
- Includes strap with dual connectors for better control when training
- Stainless steel hardware
- Super strong nylon
- Swiss Velvet-lined chest strap prevents rubbing and chaffing sores
- Features dual connection with two structurally sound rings
- Manufacturer will replace up to two chewed straps
- Great for puppies, adult dogs, and seniors
- Available in two widths
- Handle for more control
- Available in 19 colors
- Adjustable straps
- Great option for deep-chested dogs
- Easy to use & comfortable to wear
- On the pricey side
- Included leash is short for tall walkers
Train your dog not to pull with the Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness. This harness is available in sizes for chest circumferences as small as 12-inches and can accommodate puppies as small as five pounds. With larger sizes also available, it’s a solid choice for the biggest fur babies too.
Kurgo designed their harness with five adjustable points to allow for optimum adjustment so it grows with your puppy. It also features easy-release buckles to remove the harness quickly. The non-pull front D-ring is perfect for training dogs not to tug and pull when walking on a leash. And once your pup has learned not to pull, you can use the clip on the back of the harness instead. Each purchase of this no-pull harness also includes a 10-inch seat belt tether to keep your dog safely in place in the car.
- Comes with a dedicated seatbelt attachment strap and carabiner
- No-pull harness made of sturdy ripstop fabric
- Five adjustable points
- Plastic Weinerlock buckles
- D-ring in front to discourage pulling
- Second D-ring on the back for easy walkers
- Sizes X-Small — X-Large in 3 color choices
- Sturdy construction
- Three color options available
- Fits the smallest to tallest of dogs
- Great for leash training with front leash ring
- No handle for more control
- No nighttime reflectors
The Ruffwear Front Range Dog Harness is our go-to style for dogs who need a lightweight option, such as small dogs and those with arthritis. The low-profile style is another plus for miniature breeds and small, low-bodied dogs. It’s a durable choice constructed from breathable ripstop polyester, closed-cell foam, nylon, and aluminum.
Adjustable at both the neck and chest, this is a dog harness suitable for dogs of all sizes and one that can grow with your pup. And you’ll love the ergonomically-crafted hardware for easy leash attachment. With a spot to attach a safety light and reflective accents, it’s great for nighttime walks.
- 4 points of adjustment for a customized fit and full range of motion
- Reflective trim increases visibility in low-light conditions
- ID pocket keeps information easily accessible
- Foam-padded construction
- Comfortable for extended wear
- Designed for easy on and off
- Ten colors and five sizes available
- Durable and lightweight
- Breathable construction
- Sturdy and easy to put on
- Customizable fit
- Double clip option
- More expensive option
- Bulky design
#8 – Joyride No-Pull Dog Harness – Best Easy On and Off No-Pull Harness for Dogs
The Joyride No-Pull Dog Harness is designed to slide on and off your dog with ease. Designed for simplicity, simply snap the chest buckle in place, then snap the side buckle, and you’re ready to go. As for adjustability, the front strap features a Velcro closure for a perfect fit. Your pup can wear it for leisurely walks or hikes in the woods. And with two options for leash attachment, you can use the back ring for behaved walkers and the side ring to train against tugging.
Additional benefits of this harness include reflective tape for visibility in the dark, durable materials, quality construction, and comfortable, breathable mesh. An easy-to-grip handle gives you another point of contact to stay in control of your dog during training. Comes in five sizes to fit any dog! Plus, you can choose from nine colors, including a cute plaid option.
- Soft and breathable nylon mesh
- Side ring no-pull technology
- Easy grip handle on the back
- Sizes X-Small — 2X-Large
- No choke with easy on-off technology
- Available in 9 colors
- High-quality construction
- Velcro chest strap creates ultimate adjustability
- Soft padding
- Easy on-off technology
- Side ring leash attachment isn’t suitable for all dogs
The Gooby Comfort X Head-in Harness is an excellent choice for small-breed dogs, with a design made specifically for dogs weighing less than 30 pounds. The patented X-strap design prevents dogs from choking with straps that cross over the chest. And because it’s made of breathable polyester mesh material, your dog won’t get too hot in this harness when outdoors. A sturdy D-ring ensures secure leash attachment. This option makes our list of best dog harnesses for many reasons, but the icing on the cake, it’s machine-washable! Available in four sizes and 12 colors.
- No-pull and no-choke
- Designed for small dogs under 30 lbs.
- Patented X-shape straps reduce stress on the neck
- Lightweight and comfortable mesh polyester fabric
- High-quality metal D-ring for extra security
- Custom-designed buckle for easy release
- Available in 12 vibrant colors
- Quick-release buckles
- Metal alloy D-Ring
- Four adjustment points
- Breathable and lightweight
- Comfy padding
- Small handle
- Not the easiest to adjust the first time
The Expawlorer No Pull Harness has several key advantages over models. It has only two straps, making it one of the easiest harnesses to adjust and also one that makes slipping it on and off a breeze. And the firm handle on the back allows you better control when your pup gets a little rowdy. Its design allows a better range of movement for your dog and prevents choking while curbing pulling.
Comfy and breathable, your dog won’t mind wearing this harness a bit, and the thick padding means they’ll be happy to wear it for longer periods of time. Nighttime walks are also made safer thanks to highly reflective strips. Choose from three color options and three sizes for a perfect fit.
- Easy to wear and adjust
- Easy control handle
- Suitable for medium and large dogs
- Side D-rings help prevent pulling
- Four adjustment points for a custom fit
- Comes in a trio of color choices for visibility and style
- Easy to adjust
- Large back handle for excellent control
- Huge rear clip-in point
- Very affordable
- Highly effective at night
- Lacks a front “no-pull” clip-in point
- No chest T-strap causes sliding on some dogs
So, there’s the skinny on the best dog harnesses. We hope this guide helped make your choice a little easier because who wants to be stuck inside, scrolling page after page of harnesses when there’s a whole world of fun waiting for you and your dog to explore? Now, it’s time to make your dog harness purchase so you and your pup can get outside and make some memories together!
Dog Product Reviews
iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Commercial pet food is supposed to be nutritionally complete and balanced, right? We’re not so sure, but your pup…