How Dogs Split a Nail and How to Treat It
It can be very painful when dogs split their nails, but preventive measures and proper dog split-nail treatment helps them heal smoothly and comfortably. Understanding the different types of dog split nails lets you manage these injuries effectively, along with always seeking necessary care from your veterinarian.
Types of dog split nails
There are three ways a dog can split nails:
- Vertically: occurs when the nail splits down the middle
- Torn hangnail: with the dog split nail underneath
Dogs can split their nails because of numerous reasons, including overgrown nail length, awkward movements onto a hard surface or carpet, age or even illness. Even the smallest tear is agonizing and must be treated immediately, especially if the quick, or the dark park in the center of the nail that contains blood vessels and nerves, becomes exposed.
Preventing dog split nails
To prevent dogs from spliting their nails, trim nails regularly and monitor nails for bleeding. Keep nails short to prevent injury or discomfort. Overgrown nails develop cracking, says Kristie Thompson, owner of Paws & Claws Pet Spa in Anza, California.
Dog split nail treatment
Here’s a list of items — your split nail emergency kit — to use if your dog splits a nail:
- Styptic Powder (like KwikStop)
- Vet Wrap
- Soft Sock
- Nail Clippers (minor cracks)
If your dog splits a nail:
- Apply styptic powder to stop bleeding, holding a Q-tip or gauze to nail for 45 seconds.
- Once controlled, the nail itself should be treated and removed only at your veterinarian’s office. Never remove the split nail yourself due to increased pain or infection!
- Until arriving at your vet, temporarily wrap your dog’s paw with gauze and vet wrap (or sock).
Medical treatment for a dog split nail may involve sedation, pain medication, antibiotics and bandaging. Don’t worry, your dog’s nail does grow back in time.
“I recommend a doggie shoe with Velcro over the bandaged foot and keeping it clean and dry, says Kristie.” An example is the medical bootie by Healers Pet Care.
Split nails are as painful as they are “cracked up to be,” but rest assured! Maintaining these safety techniques and veterinary support will bring your dog much relief and ease.
Known for their playful personalities and iconic physique, Dachshunds are a popular breed with much to love. Proper grooming…