5 Houseplants That Are Dangerous For Your Dog
If you look on Instagram under any of the hashtags pertaining to homes and home decor, you’re bound to come across that wonderful boho-chic look that turns your home into a mini greenhouse with loads of plants. Terrariums are particularly popular. Either way, many of us may love the aesthetic of plants in our houses or apartments, so we go a little crazy on that front. Of course, if we have pets we also have to conscious that we’re purchasing plants that won’t be harmful to them as well. So, as pet owners, before we go out and go crazy buying all the plants, it’s important to get familiar with the ones that may be toxic to our pets.
The Lily family of plants is very expansive. But there are some plants that are downright lethal to our dogs and cats. The Mauna Loa, which also goes by the name Peace Lily, is toxic to dogs and cats while the Stargazer and Easter Lilies are toxic only to cats as it affects their appetite and kidneys, and can end up being fatal. Meanwhile, the Peace Lily is toxic for both cats and dogs and can present symptoms of vomiting. They can also experience trouble swallowing due to irritated lips and tongue.
You would think that Aloe Vera wouldn’t make the list since it’s such a great plant for us humans when we have burns. However, it’s that specific gel substance – the one we humans find so soothing on our skin – that is very harmful to our dogs. If they ingest it, their digestive systems can be harmed.
Ivy (Hedera Helix)
We’ve all heard of Poison Ivy and make efforts to avoid it. However, even regular Ivy can be toxic to our dogs. If they ingest regular Ivy, they can develop both a rash and breathing problems. And things can get even worse as Ivy has been known to lead to coma or paralysis.
Jade (Crassula Ovata)
The Jade plant has many names like Jade Tree, Dwarf Rubber Plant, Chinese or Japanese Rubber Plant, Friendship Tree, and Baby Jade. Regardless of what you may know it as, it’s important to know that it should be kept away from dogs and cats. No one knows for sure what toxins are in this plant, but what is known is that any dog or cat that ingests Jade can end up developing the following symptoms: vomiting, incoordination (ataxia), a slow heart rate (bradycardia) and/or depression.
This plant is harmful to both dogs and cats. The plant also goes by other names such as Emerald Fern, Emerald Feather, Sprengeri Fern, Lace Fern, and Plumosa Fern. This specific fern contains a toxin called Sapogenin, and if the berries are eaten then your pet can experience diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and inflammation of the skin.
Judy Obregon, from “The Abandoned Ones (TAO) Dog Rescue,” has been driving past Texas’ Echo Lake roads at 4…