Can Dogs Eat Bay Leaves? Are Bay Leaves Safe For Dogs?
Can dogs eat bay leaves? Maybe you’ve thought about giving your dog a taste while adding some aromatic bay leaves to a slow simmering stew. If humans can eat bay leaves, can dogs safely eat bay leaves?
The short answer is no, dogs can’t eat bay leaves safely. In fact, bay leaves are considered to be toxic to dogs due to the presence of a substance called eugenol plus a number of other essential oils.
According to the ASPCA, consuming bay leaves can bring on bouts of diarrhea and vomiting, and whole leaves could even result in an obstruction for your dog.
If your dog manages to eat bay leaves, call your veterinarian for further advice. Here’s what you need to know about bay leaves and dogs.
Why Are Bay Leaves Bad For Dogs?
Bay leaves are classified as being toxic for dogs. The main reason why is due to the presence of a substance called eugenol. Additionally, bay leaves often contain certain other essential oils that could result in issues for your dog.
If your dog consumes a whole bay leaf, this could also result in the development of an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract. In the case of dried bay leaves, their sharp edges could cause internal damage if they are ingested by a dog.
What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Bay Leaves?
First of all, if you notice that your dog has eaten a bay leaf, make sure to remove any other leaves that might be in their reach. Next, look out for any symptoms that eating a bay leaf has upset your dog.
Some of the most common symptoms of eating bay leaves include:
Additionally, if you notice that your dog has consumed a whole bay leaf, there is a chance that a gastrointestinal obstruction might develop.
Consult with your veterinarian if you notice that your dog has eaten a bay leaf and seems to be adversely affected by it. Depending on a number of factors include the size and age of your dog, your vet might suggest seeking out immediate medical care.
Has your dog ever accidentally eaten bay leaves? Did they feel sick afterward? Let us know in the comments below!
When a woman pulled up to the drive-up window of a popular snack venue with her two dogs, Daisy…