Homemade Spinach and Bacon Dog Treats
We haven’t met a dog yet who doesn’t love bacon! And while bacon alone has to be a very occasional treat, it can easily lend its flavor to these homemade spinach and bacon dog treats, a recipe we received from Tails.com.
We’ve modified this UK recipe for US measurements–but it’s definitely an international favorite with dogs!
Can Dogs Eat Spinach?
Spinach is Popeye’s favorite – and one of ours – so we’ve made this superfood the star of the show.
A great source of vitamins A, B, C, and K, spinach also contains minerals like calcium, iron and magnesium.
Spinach is one of those foods–like many–that we can share with our dogs in moderation.
According to the American Kennel Club, “Spinach is very high in oxalic acid, which blocks the body’s ability to absorb calcium and can lead to kidney damage.” This recipe, however, involves a small amount of spinach, served as a treat, not a whole meal.
Easy Homemade Dog Treats
Adding some lean bacon to the mix means these biscuits feel like a real treat. They’re great for training (we call these types of treats ‘high-value rewards’ as dogs will work extra hard to get them!) and perfect for popping in the freezer.
For this recipe, you’ll need a basic baking supplies: mixing bowl, cookie sheet, cooked spinach, lean bacon, rice flour and an egg…and, from there, you’re just about a half hour away from homemade spinach and bacon dog treats!
- 1.7 ounces (about 1/4 cup) cooked spinach (frozen is fine)
- 1.7 ounces lean bacon (about three slices), diced
- 2/3 cup rice flour (coconut or wholemeal flour also work well)
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 170°C/about 340F.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- With damp hands, roll the dough into balls and flatten into biscuit shapes.
- Place the biscuits onto the baking tray and bake for around 20 minutes.
- Once cool, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
At the Lenin factory stop near Magnit, 4 sick puppies were abandoned, they were scattered everywhere. They all had…